There is nothing better than a healthy, hearty bran muffin so I set out to create one full of sweet, chunky bananas. With the addition of nonfat Greek yogurt, I was able to reduce the amount of oil in the recipe and still maintain the moistness and texture of a traditional bran muffin. For lots of fiber and healthy grains, I added wheat bran and wheat germ, along with a combination of light brown sugar and molasses for sweetness. A teaspoon of freshly grated orange zest adds a subtle citrus twist. Most banana muffin recipes call for small, diced pieces of banana that pretty much blend in, but I wanted these muffins to be chunky, so I cut the bananas slices thick. Once baked and cooled, you will have a dozen golden brown bran muffins, chock full of distinct bananas and chewy grains. Enjoy!
Healthy Chunky Banana Bran Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup plain, nonfat Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup lowfat milk
3 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
¼ cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup large-diced ripe bananas
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat bran with Greek Yogurt and milk. Let sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In an electric mixer, beat oil, brown sugar, and molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, and then add grated orange zest and vanilla extract. Mix for 1 -2 minutes on medium speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, white flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt) until combined.
- While mixer is on low speed, slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients until combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in diced bananas and walnuts or pecans.
- Line muffin tins with paper liners and fill by tablespoonfulls.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze up to 2 months.