- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1¾-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
- If desired, dip cookies in melted chocolate so just the bottoms are covered. Place on wax paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 mins or until hardened.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days. If dipped in chocolate, store in refrigerator.
Recipe by the chic brûlée at http://thechicbrulee.com/2012/02/10/coconut-macaroons/