|Decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake |
Author: the chic brûlée
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
A recipe for fudgy Decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1 pound high-quality dark or bittersweet chocolate (recommended: Callebaut), chopped into small pieces
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 9 large eggs, separated
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold, for topping
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Butter the paper and sides of the pan.
- Put the chocolate and butter into the top of a double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl) and heat over (but not touching) about 1 inch of simmering water until melted.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar, vanilla and salt in a mixing bowl until light yellow in color.
- Whisk a little of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper the eggs – this will keep the eggs from scrambling from the heat of the chocolate – then whisk in the rest of the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is set, the top starts to crack and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then remove sides of pan.
- While the cake is cooking, whip the cream until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Serve at room temperature dusted with confectioners’ sugar and topped with whipped cream.
Recipe by the chic brûlée at http://thechicbrulee.com/2012/06/19/decadent-flourless-chocolate-cake/