|Curried Coconut Lentil Soup |
A recipe for a hearty, warming, (and healthy!) curried coconut lentil soup.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons good-quality curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ – 1 fresh chili, finely chopped (optional, to taste)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 400ml can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups red lentils, dry
- 2-3 handfuls of swiss chard, washed and chopped (can use spinach or kale, if you wish!)
- Chopped cilantro (coriander)
- Chop up your onions, carrots, garlic, ginger and chili (if using).
- Heat the coconut oil in large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened, but not browned.
- Add the carrots and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger and chili and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, salt and tomato paste and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, tomatoes and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are very tender. If the soup is getting too dry, add a little more vegetable stock or water until it reaches a good consistency.
- Add the swiss chard and cook for an additional 5 minutes until wilted.
- Serve immediately with chopped fresh cilantro (coriander) to garnish.
Recipe by the chic brûlée at http://thechicbrulee.com/2014/09/14/curried-coconut-lentil-soup/